top of page

What to expect at the Canadian border for Permanent Residents

CONGRATULATIONS! You've successfully passed through all the hurdles of applying, getting Invited, and finally being approved to become a Canadian Permanent Resident! (We are doing a happy dance for you)

To help out, we put together this list of what you should expect and what you may need at the Canadian border.

When you arrive in Canada, use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information.

You must have:

  • your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private citizen passport and you can’t immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service, or public affairs passport.

  • your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa (if you've been given one).

  • proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The officer will:

  • make sure you’re entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your COPR

  • make sure that you are the same person who was approved to travel to Canada (they may use your biometrics to do this)

  • ask to see your passport and other travel documents

  • ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada (they will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied)

If you arrive in Canada with more than $10,000 CAD, you must tell the CBSA officer. If you don’t tell them, you could be fined, and your funds could be seized.

If you are bringing goods into the country, check the CBSA Website to verify that you can bring them into Canada

If you’re admissible and there are no problems when you arrive, the officer will:

  • allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident

  • confirm your Canadian mailing address where IRCC will mail your permanent resident card

Other Documents to Consider Bringing:

  • Marriage certificates

  • Adoption, separation, or divorce paper (if applicable)

  • Birth certificates or baptismal certificates

  • Trade or professional certificates and licenses

  • Immunization records for children

  • School records, diplomas, or degrees for each family member traveling with you

  • Driver's license, including an International Driver's Permit and reference or original supporting documents that show proof of your driving experience

It is always best to be prepared!

If you have read this post, and need assistance with your permanent residence application, book our Permanent Residence Consultation! Our consultants can assess your eligibility to multiple programs, and find the best pathway for you!

We Cannot Wait to Welcome you to Canada!

bottom of page