The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is launching two new immigration pathways to encourage international graduates to open businesses in Alberta that will create new high-paying jobs and help diversify the economy.
International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream
Foreign Graduate Start-up Visa Stream
Starting Monday, recent international graduates from Alberta's universities and colleges will be able to apply under the new International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream to launch business ventures and startups in Alberta.
The International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream (IGEIS) allows Alberta to nominate qualified international graduates from Alberta post-secondary institutions who want to establish or operate a business in Alberta to apply for permanent residence.
To be eligible you must :
1.Have a minimum of 6 months of full-time work experience that can be a combination of actively managing or owning the business or equivalencies.
2. Have completed at least two years of full-time education in Alberta, resulting in a degree or diploma from a DLI in Alberta.
3. Have a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) valid for at least 2 years at the time of your Expression of Interest (EOI) submission.
4. Have a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 7 in all proficiencies in either English or French.
Official test results must be less than 2 years old at the time your EOI is submitted.
5. Must establish a new business or buy an existing business in Alberta with a minimum 34% ownership.
Other factors that can increase your chances includes
1.You can provide economic benefit to Alberta through:
● job creation
● economic sector
● business location (for example, rural)
● business succession
● developed intellectual property
2. partnership or support from business incubator/accelerator, venture capital or angel investor
3. You should be between the age of 21 to 49 years
4. Having an Albertan relative
5. Having a Spouse that either works full time in Alberta or studied in Alberta for at least 2years or meets the minimum language requirements of at least CLB 5 in English or French in all language abilities.
In January, the province will also launch the Foreign Graduate Start-up Visa Stream, which is targeted at "talented international graduates from top U.S. universities and colleges to start businesses and settle in Alberta communities."
There will be more details on the stream before the year is over.
To apply for the The International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream (IGEIS)