Home Caregiver & Support Pathway to Permanent Residence

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot are 5-year pilot programs that let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents.

You may be eligible to apply to this program if you’ve been offered a job in Canada as a caregiver or have experience working in Canada as a caregiver

There are three major pathway to apply to this program based on your situation and the two qualifying occupations are

Home Child Care Provider - NOC 4411 (experience as a foster parent doesn’t count)


Home Support Worker - NOC 4412 (experience as a housekeeper doesn’t count )

Pathways to apply for the Pilot Program

1. Applicants with no qualifying work experience

You may be eligible to apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot, if you:

2. You have some qualifying work experience, but less than 24 months

This category is for temporary foreign workers who are working full-time as a caregiver in Canada right now, or recently worked full-time as a caregiver in Canada

but you don’t have 24 months of experience yet. Here is what you can do to qualify for this program.

If you’re already working in Canada as a home child care provider or home support worker, you can:

apply to one of these pilots to complete your work experience ( following the step in pathway 1), or keep working on your current work permit until you have 24 months of work experience.

If you choose to keep working on your current work permit, when you have enough work experience come back and follow the instructions for caregivers who have 24 months of qualifying work experience.

3. You have 24 or more months of qualifying work experience

If you already have 24 months of qualifying work experience, you and your family members may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot. When you apply, you need to include documents to prove you have enough qualifying work experience.

Here is the Seven Step Application Process

You apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot, depending on which occupation you plan to work in.

  1. You submit a work permit application together with your permanent residence application.

  2. If you meet the requirements, you get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily.

  3. The work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit and lets you work as a caregiver for any employer

  4. Get at least 24 months of work experience to qualify for permanent residence.

  5. You send us proof of your work experience once you have enough.

  6. We make a final decision on your application for permanent residence.

What's Great About This Program?

This program would benefit anyone looking to hire a temporary foreign worker to care for a loved one. The employee can be a close family member as long as they meet all the eligibility requirements. If the employee is hired, their family members may also be eligible to accompany them tho Canada. Candidates get an occupation -restricted work-permit that allows them work for any employer.

Applicants hired from outside Canada would first come in on a work permit and can be accompanied by family members and once they meet the required work experience for the program they can then apply for Permanent Residence

What's challenging about this program?

Finding the qualifying valid job offer from a Canadian employer. This is because most times, employers hiring for this types of programs may use more of referrals or already have and employee to bring in.

What is a Qualifying Job Offer?

The job you’re offered must be:

  • made using Offer of Employment IMM 5983 (PDF, 2.33 MB)full-time,

  • which means at least 30 hours of paid work each week

  • from a Canadian employer

  • outside the province of Quebec

  • from an employer who’s not an embassy, high commission or consulate

  • genuine, meaning there’s a real need to hire you

Who Can Benefit from this program?

Any permanent residence or Canadian citizen in Canada in need of a Home Care giver for your kids or elderly parents? Who meet the employer requirements and find qualified employees.

Not sure where to start, book a consultation and lets discuss how you can benefit from this program.

Source: CIC Website

1,133 views0 comments
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram - Black Circle

© 2020 by InfoPlace Canada Immigration Services Inc. All rights reserved.

Saskatchewan, Canada. +1-306-585-6565


Privacy Policy