top of page

Can I Work 40 hours as an International Student in Canada?

In certain circumstances, International Students in Canada can work more than the stipulated 24hours per week. The Minister of Immigration, Hon. Marc Miller recently announced that international students effective September 2024 will only be allowed to work 24 hours per week during regular school sessions.

However, the good news is that under certain conditions, you can work for up to 40 hours or more per week, and there are two scenarios in which this can occur:

  1. Scheduled breaks: International students can work full-time during scheduled breaks (winter, summer, reading weeks). They can also work overtime or combine part-time jobs during these breaks.

  2. Working on Campus: Students with study permits permitting on-campus work and who have maintained full-time status throughout their program can work unlimited hours per week on campus during their final academic session if they only need a part-time course load to complete their program.

What is On-Campus Work?

On-campus work refers to employment opportunities located within the physical boundaries of your university or college campus. This includes buildings, facilities, and departments operated by the institution itself.

Who is Eligible for On-Campus Work?

Here's a breakdown of students eligible for on-campus work in Canada:

You must be registered as a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI). This includes:

  • Public post-secondary institutions (colleges, universities, trade or technical schools)

  • Private post-secondary institutions operating under the same rules as public institutions in Quebec

  • Private or public secondary or post-secondary institutions in Quebec offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or more leading to:

    • Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)

    • Attestation of Vocational Specialization (AVS)

  • Canadian private institutions authorized to confer degrees (associate, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral) but only if:

  • The program leads to a degree authorized by the province.

  • The program is part of the institution's degree-granting offerings (not all programs qualify).

Do I Need a Work Permit to Work on Campus?

Generally, if you're a full-time student, you don't need a separate work permit to work on campus at the university or college you're attending. This permission should be indicated on your study permit itself. However, there are a few exceptions:

  • Your study permit doesn't mention on-campus work: If it only says you can work off-campus, you can still work on campus during your final semester with a part-time course load, but for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

  • Working in a healthcare setting: If your on-campus job involves working in a hospital or somewhere public health is crucial, you might need an Immigration Medical Examination (IME) even if you didn't require one for your study permit application.

What Jobs Count as On-Campus Work?

Here's the good news: on-campus work offers a variety of opportunities! On-campus work is defined as employment happening within the boundaries of your school's campus. This includes:

  • Working for the institution itself

  • Working for a faculty member

  • Working for a student organization

  • Being self-employed with a business operating on campus

  • Working for a private business or contractor providing services on campus

Important Note: You'll Need a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

To work legally in Canada, you'll need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). The good news is you can apply for a SIN specifically for on-campus employment, as long as you have a valid study permit. You can apply for your SIN before you start working or within the first 3 days of your employment.


  • Your campus can have multiple locations, and as long as they're in the same city, you can work at any of them. However, if the campuses are in different cities, you're restricted to working at the one where you're registered as a full-time student.

  • Keep an eye on your study permit expiry date and course load to ensure you comply with on-campus work eligibility.

  • You can work remotely for employers located within your school's boundaries, as long as they provide a teleworking agreement for confirmation.

What next?

International students are major assets to Canada economically, socially, and culturally. At InfoPlace Canada, we strive to ensure our international student clients are well-positioned to succeed in Canada. Book a Consultation with our Consultants to get expert guidance and the comprehensive insights you need to make your dream of studying in Canada a reality.


bottom of page