top of page

Who Can Apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

Are you waiting on a decision for your permanent residence (PR) application in Canada? Don't let your work authorization expire! A Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) can help you continue working legally in Canada while your PR application is being processed.

What is a BOWP?

A BOWP is a temporary work permit specifically designed for applicants waiting for a decision on their permanent residence application.

Who is eligible for a BOWP?

You may be eligible for a BOWP if you applied for permanent residence under one of these programs:

  • Express Entry

  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

  • Quebec Skilled Worker Program

  • Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot

  • Caring for Children Class or Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class

  • Agri-Food Pilot

Who can apply for a BOWP?

In addition to the program category, you must also meet these general eligibility requirements:

  • Be physically present in Canada when applying for the BOWP.

  • Hold a valid work permit, have an expired work permit with maintained worker status, or be eligible to restore your status and obtain a work permit.

  • Be the principal applicant on your PR application.

  • Must have submitted a complete application for permanent residence in Canada. You'll need your acknowledgement of receipt letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Important Notes:

  • You can leave Canada while your BOWP application is being processed. However, you cannot work in Canada if you leave after your current work permit expires and your BOWP hasn't been approved yet.

  • Submitting an Express Entry profile is not the same as applying for permanent residence.

  • You must show that you have one year of relevant work experience for the Home Child-Care or Home Support Worker Pilot.

  • You must have submitted a complete application for permanent residence before June 18, 2019( for the now-closed Caring for Children Class or Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class programs).

Don't Forget, We're Here to Help!

If you're waiting on your PR application and your work permit is expiring, a BOWP can be a valuable option. You can contact us for more information and detailed instructions.

With all the uncertainty surrounding immigration this year, we can assist by reviewing your eligibility, exploring your options, and help you with packaging a strong and convincing application. Book a consultation with one of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants today!

441 views0 comments


bottom of page