After you have received, you admission into a Canadian DLI, your next step in coming to Canada to study is the application for your study permit. This application can be completed online or by paper.
Online application is typically the best option as it is faster and you can track your application online. Below are common supporting documents required for study permit application:
1. Admission letter from a designated learning institution in the prescribed format.
2. Fee Payment: Payment of your first semester tuition (this is not a mandatory requirement but advisable as strong proof of funds)
3. Proof of funds for you study in Canada- This includes your tuition + living expenses + Flight Tickets. If you are coming for a one year program, you are required to show total funds that would be required for the year. If you are coming for a program that is more than one year, your source of income for the first year would be verified to ensure that those funds would be available for subsequent years. You can read more about proof of funds here
4. Letter of Sponsorship: Letter of sponsorship and other supporting documents depends on who the sponsor it. For example, if your parents are your sponsor, you need to include proof of your relationship (birth certificate) proof of their source of income and their bank statements. If you are sponsoring yourself, you would need to include proof of funds such as employment letter and pay stub, bank statements etc.
5. Police Clearance: if your 18years or older, you are required to submit a police clearance for all countries you have lived in for 6 months or more.
6. Medical Exams: A medical exams by a designated medical professional is required as part of your application if you have not completed one in the last 12months. This medical exam can be completed upfront or after it has been requested. Completing it upfront medical exams would enable you avoid delays in processing.
7. Passport- You passport with at least 3-4years of validity is important to avoid having to review your study permit while in school esp. if you are coming for a 4 year program.
8. Education Credential- High school, bachelors- Include any credential you may have.
Frankly, documents checklist are not very standard, it all depends on each applicants profile. The key to ensuring that you submit all that’s required is ensuring that the documents you submit will answer any question the immigration officer would have about your application.
When submitting online, you may not necessarily see sections to attach some of the documents listed above. Scan it with other documents you have as long as it does not exceed 4MB and include a letter of explanation listing all the documents.
If you have any questions about your application, do not hesitate to contact us.